#1 Tarek

Tarek

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 3670 posts
Popular

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

Dear all,

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone who have contacted us asking for STV 3.0's beta date and if they can join our beta program. To answer everyone, we do have a closed beta program currently going on right now. Unlike our past releases where we usually had public betas, this time we needed to be in close contact with the testers since there's was no documentation at the time of the beta release. The good news for everyone is that we're expecting to launch STV 3.0 before the end of this month!

Now for everyone who has been sending us asking about how our web service binding will work, I'd like to give you guys a sneak preview here. The following is a Twitter sample application developed with STV 3.0 (this does not use any iOS 5 twitter API and will flawlessly work on iOS 4.0). Even though we used Twitter here as our web service of choice, it shouldn't be any different when you use your own web services instead.

With typical STV simplicity, here is all the code needed!

[attachment=283]STV30pcode.png[/attachment]

This is the custom TweetCell used in the code:

[attachment=278]STV30pcell.png[/attachment]

And these are the screen shots:

[attachment=279]STV3p01.png[/attachment]
[attachment=280]STV3p02.png[/attachment]
[attachment=281]STV3p03.png[/attachment]

Notice that you automatically get all the following:
[ul]
[li]Pull-to-refresh[/li]
[li]"Load More" asynchronous loading[/li]
[li]Asynchronous loading for all images[/li]
[li]Cell auto-resizing depending on the tweet size[/li]
[/ul]

A further developed version of the app will be included with STV 3.0's sample applications.

We'd love to hear all your feedback, thank you very much! :)
  • Smatombub likes this

#2 Louis Rodriguez

Louis Rodriguez

• STV 5.0 Pro
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Good

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

Hello.

Good news about 3.0!

I am waiting till 3.0 to use and learn STV but I have a question.

What of local syncing from the web services?

Say I build an iPhone app that contacts my web app via the new web services code.... does the data automatically get saved into the local core data in the phone? or will this require rest kit as well?

thank you.

Edit: I suppose one pattern for this would be to save locally first, then on STV save "success" post to the remote server.

(and if they are offline though one would have to keep track of off line edits, inserts) which would be a pain.

#3 Ryan Davis

Ryan Davis

• STV 3.0 Pro
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Good

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:25 PM

Just for purposes of encouragement, I thought I'd leave a quick post saying that I'm really excited for the new version of STV and some of the new features that have been mentioned! I even dreamt that it was released the other night (sad, huh) :blink:

#4 dev1

dev1

• STV 3.0 Pro
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
Good

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:16 PM

The end of the month is near, and i'm really waiting for 3.0 with some really nice features I miss in the current version.
I'm new to iOS development, but after using the native tableview in some projects and after i've gotten familiar with Sensible Tableview, I really appreciate the functionality and highly recommend it! :woohoo:

Cheers, H.

#5 Tarek

Tarek

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 3670 posts
Popular

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:31 PM

Thank you so much guys for all your feedback, complements and encouragement, we really appreciate it!

@rdavis: It makes us feel really privileged that we can actually make your dreams come true very soon!! :)

@Dev1: Thank you! STV 3.0 will even be easier to use than 2.0! Significantly easier in fact!

@lr: No need for RestKit. You'll now be providing SCWebServiceDefinition with something called a 'localDefinition', which could be the definition for a local Core Data entity that the web service will save the data to. Also, one of the most powerful new features of STV 3.0 is how easily extendable it is. For example, you can easily extend 3.0's storage classes to precisely control how and when data is saved/fetched. Much more on that in STV's new book.

#6 Tomer

Tomer

• STV 3.0 Pro
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Good

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

Good Job Tarek :)!

I don't always comment but when I do,
I comment on things that are worth mentioning!

I've been waiting for such features to be included in STV, I usually work with server and SCWebServiceDefinition sounds promising!

Good Job & Good Luck,
Tomer

#7 Rolf Hunt1348790293

Rolf Hunt1348790293

Experienced Member

• STV 3.0 Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
Good

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

I agree! Great work, Tarek!

I wonder if everyone were to click on Tarek's karma, would STV 3.0 appear sooner?

Or maybe a preview of that book he's teasing us all with? :whistle:

Cheers,

-Rolf.

aka dtraillsc

#8 Carlos Torres

Carlos Torres

• STV 5.0 Pro
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSan Juan, PR
Neutral

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:18 PM

The end of the month arrived; will we see this incredible new tool today or at least a preview of the most anticipated book?

#9 dev1

dev1

• STV 3.0 Pro
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
Good

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

Nothing yet? :-(

#10 Louis Rodriguez

Louis Rodriguez

• STV 5.0 Pro
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Good

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

If delayed, Is the 3.0 upgrade free I assume?

I need to jump and and start to do some heavy core data stuff in my app and while I was hoping to wait for 3.0, I could prob. learn 2.0 and apply that knowledge to 3.0 if shipping in the near term.

thanks!

:side:

#11 Tomer

Tomer

• STV 3.0 Pro
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Good

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

To everyone who are too anxious, me to,
but you gotta give Tarek sometime remember he's doing a great job,
wether it was April Fool's or just couldn't make it in time I still appreciate your job,
personally I never thought that I'll see STV 3.0 before Q3, so just take your time,
release it whenever you can :)
Plus for the ones who work on new projects, well me to, I started it 4 days ago, and frankly I found some other missing core components other than STV 3.0, so I suggest to work on those in the meantime, STV will come (take it as an advice, I'm not here to judge).

Anyways, great job Tarek keep going,
Tomer

#12 David Lashley

David Lashley

Starting Out

• STV 2.0
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

Tomer,

Perhaps if Tarik, where to inform the folks who have invested into STV (i.e purchased a licence), what is going on! then maybe there would be less anxiety and more backing for him and STV in general... or at least some peace on mind as far as planning is concerned....:ohmy:

Also remember that commitment is certanty in the real world (end of month! BTW), at least in my world anyway.:angry:

#13 Tarek

Tarek

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 3670 posts
Popular

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

Thank you everyone for all your feedback.

I'll shortly be posting (on a separate thread) our official release date for STV 3.0. We're about 10 days late than the expected end of the month date mentioned here. While I agree that there is no excuse for ever being late, sometimes its completely unforeseen. For example, while having been almost done with the new STV CSS-like theme styling, we where approached by a company that provides iOS app themes that was interested in shipping themes for STV 3.0 (more on this in the new post). We had to work together to have their themes STV ready and add several new features to our theming engine to support everything they have. We're also working around the clock to avoid the poor documentation issues that several people mentioned in STV 2.0, and wanted to top all that with a book that explains 3.0's core concepts.

Having said all that, I do understand that people build their work schedules around our release dates, and we all here would like to apologize for the delay that happened. We do promise however that the delay will be well worth it.

Thanks to all you guys one more time.

#14 Tarek

Tarek

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 3670 posts
Popular

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

Here you go guys: http://sensiblecocoa...lease-date.html
  • Jonathan likes this

#15 Carlos Torres

Carlos Torres

• STV 5.0 Pro
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSan Juan, PR
Neutral

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:24 AM

tarekskr, thanks for the update and for taking the time to calm our anxiety. As you said, the wait was definitely worth it. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users