#1 Tarek

Tarek

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 3670 posts
Popular

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

Dear all,

We'd like to announce that the final release date for STV 3.0 is next Wednesday April 11th. We had mentioned in an earlier post that it should be ready by the end of March, so we'd like to apologize for everyone who had read the post and was expecting to have 3.0 ready by now. We promise you that it will be well worth the extra wait.

I'd also like to sieze the opportunity and give you guys a sneak preview of STV's new CSS-like styling feature, in addition to announcing a new collaboration between Sensible Cocoa and AppDesignValut (more on that at the end of the post).

In our last sneak preview, we demonstrated how STV 3.0's new web service integration feature was used to create a twitter application in less than a page of code. This is the same app running on an iPad without any theme styling:
[attachment=284]TweetApp-notheme.jpg[/attachment]

Now with STV's new theme styling feature, we made the app look like this by adding 2 (yes, only two!) lines of code:
[attachment=285]TweetApp.jpg[/attachment]

The first line is in MasterViewController.m
- (void)viewDidLoad
{
  self.tableViewModel.theme = [SCTheme themeWithPath:@"foody-master.sct"];
}
The second line is in DetailViewController.m
- (void)viewDidLoad
{
  self.tableViewModel.theme = [SCTheme themeWithPath:@"foody-detail.sct"];
}

The new STV .sct theme files look very much like CSS files, and they can be used to set any property you wish. This is how both theme files look like:

foody-master.sct
[code type=css]UINavigationBar
{
backgroundImage: "ipad-menubar-left.png";
}

navigationItemTitleView
{
backgroundColor: clearColor;
font: Baskerville-BoldItalic 20;
shadowColor: blackColor;
textColor: whiteColor;
}

UITableView
{
backgroundView: "leather-background.png";
}

SCPullToRefreshView
{
backgroundColor: "leather-background.png";
}

SCTableViewCell
{
backgroundView: "ipad-menu-item.png";
selectedBackgroundView: "ipad-menu-item-selected.png";
}[/code]
foody-detail.sct
[code type=css]UINavigationBar
{
backgroundImage: "ipad-menubar-right.png";
tintColor: blackColor;
}

UITableView
{
backgroundView: "leather-background.png" capInsets(0,0,0,0);
}

SCPullToRefreshView
{
backgroundColor: "leather-background.png";
}

SCTableViewCell
{
backgroundView: "ipad-menu-item.png";
}[/code]

Using these theme files, you can completely redesign your app without touching your code at all! Much more details on how STV theme files work will be provided with the final release.

Now to take all this even further, we've made an agreement with AppDesignValut to have their designs fully compatible with STV 3.0 by creating STV theme files for each of their designs. What this means for you is that all you'll need is pick a design from AppDesignVault, drop it into your STV app, and have your app get fully styled automagically! Our friends at AppDesignVault will also be providing some of their designs free of charge to all STV customers, and these will be shipped with STV 3.0 to help you guys get started with this awesome new feature.

I can't wait till you guys get your hands on this, it has been one of the most fascinating new features we've tested so far! We really appreciate all your comments and feedback, thank you!
  • Smatombub and VewSnigninero4f like this

#2 Brandon Ballentine

Brandon Ballentine

• STV 2.0
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:04 AM

This release is looking better and better! I can't wait to get my hands on it. Any word on upgrade pricing for existing 2.0 users?

#3 Tarek

Tarek

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 3670 posts
Popular

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:24 AM

Thank you @bballentine. We'll be announcing all upgrade details soon. We'll try to have the upgrade price as low as we could because we want everyone to move on into the new system. STV 3.0 is syntactically a bit different from 2.0 (easier with even less coding), so it'll be much more convenient for all of us if everyone upgrades.

#4 Matthew Purcell

Matthew Purcell

Experienced Member

• STV 3.0 Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
Good

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:33 AM

Hi Tarek,

Just saw your tweet about STV 3.0. This looks awesome - can't wait until next Wednesday :)

Best wishes,
Matthew

#5 Tope

Tope

Starting Out

• STV 3.0 Pro
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:44 AM

Tarek,

I am also looking forward to the collaboration between App Design Vault and Sensible Cocoa.

The mission is to save developers time and money and produce great apps in half the time!.

Congratulations on upcoming launch of STV 3.0.

#6 David Lashley

David Lashley

Starting Out

• STV 2.0
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:11 AM

Hi Tarek,

Looking forward to Wednesday.

On a separate note, are there plans to integrate iCloud at some point?

#7 Tomer

Tomer

• STV 3.0 Pro
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Good

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:16 AM

Great job Tarek,

On another matter I'm pretty new here since STV 2.1,
What was the upgrade fee from 1.X -> 2.0, I didn't know that such protocol exists with STV purchases,
I believed I bought lifetime upgrade free license, but I don't care paying upgrade fee, it is just unexpected and it was my bad since I can totally see now that I bough STV 2.0 and not STV as I thought, well anyways as long as STV 2.0 support will still be available :) (at least for the meantime)

Tomer
  • Patrick Crask likes this

#8 Björn Steneram

Björn Steneram

• STV 3.0 Pro
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Good

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:43 AM

Will you update your video Tutorials aswell? they are getting kind of old by now :)

anyway.. these are awesome changes.. i have been waiting for them for a long time.

Great work!

#9 Steve McKenna

Steve McKenna

• STV 4.0 Pro
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Good

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

can't wait! great work. you rock.

#10 Louis Rodriguez

Louis Rodriguez

• STV 5.0 Pro
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Good

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:23 AM

Excited! and the theme support sounds good too!

and your tweet today, iCloud support????/??

Do we have to code anything with STV 3.0 ;)

#11 Nicholas Watson

Nicholas Watson

• STV 3.0 Pro
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Good

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:04 PM

VERY excited :)

I've put my app on hold with anticipation for this :)

#12 Nick Williams

Nick Williams

• STV 3.0 Pro
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Good

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

Will there be anymore maintenance releases of STV 2 or will you not be supporting it longer? Im still waiting on getting some bugs fixed that I reported months ago. There seem to be a lot of outstanding bugs in STV 2 and I hope you don't expect us to pay more to get them fixed.

#13 Tony Manners

Tony Manners

• STV 3.0 Pro
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Good

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

Ok, its Apr 11th. Wheres STV 3.0? B)

#14 Tommy Wild

Tommy Wild

Advanced Member

• STV 3.0 Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Good

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:34 PM

Hi there Tarek - been a while :P

I'm excited for STV 3.0! Hope all is well!
  • Patrick Crask likes this

#15 Tarek

Tarek

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 3670 posts
Popular

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

Hi again everyone!

We'd like to really thank you for all the kind words of support and encouragement we've received so far on STV 3.0. We owe you guys so much, you're the reason that keeps us going everyday.

For everyone asking: Yes, STV 3.0 will be out in the next few hours. We'll send you all emails as soon as it's released, and we'll be announcing it on Twitter and on the forums. The new STV book should also be out, which was an amazing experience that taught us so much about STV. Several chapters are still missing though, but we expect to fill these in very quickly.

@nbransby: We're only expecting you to enjoy using STV, and for it to make a real difference in your life as a developer. It's why we started all this in the first place, and our very happiest moments are when a customer sends saying that his wife is thanking us because he can now spend more time with his kids during the weekend. We're still helping out customers out there who had bought STV over a year and a half ago, even though our support policy only states 3 months. It's always a huge dilemma though, and you're torn between either declining a support request, and between helping out a person in need at the cost of delaying a new release or updating the website or video tutorials (that others depend on too). At the end of the day, we're not Apple, and we do have very limited resources. All I can promise is for us to try and manage our business model in a way that will be beneficial to the vast majority of our customers.

@skoota & @icyplains: Such a long time, missed you guys! :)

#16 Josh Leibsly

Josh Leibsly

Starting Out

• STV 3.0 Pro
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Good

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:02 PM

Can't wait! Holding out making an app to see this release!

#17 Nicholas Watson

Nicholas Watson

• STV 3.0 Pro
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Good

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:43 AM

Posted Image

#18 Tomer

Tomer

• STV 3.0 Pro
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Good

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:46 AM

@nickwatson took my idea, but a little to early, lol anyways I'm off to 9gag until Tarek will finish

#19 Tony Manners

Tony Manners

• STV 3.0 Pro
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Good

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:16 AM

Hey Tarek, any update on the release?

#20 Hartmut Wilms

Hartmut Wilms

• STV 3.0 Pro
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Good

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

Hi,

I guess we won't see any new release today or in a few hours, right? Is there a new ETA?

BR,
Hartmut

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users