#42 Tommy Wild

Tommy Wild

Advanced Member

• STV 3.0 Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Good

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

OK, I'm good now. I cleared Chrome's cache and restarted it.

#43 Louis Rodriguez

Louis Rodriguez

• STV 5.0 Pro
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Good

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

n/m

I'm absent minded.

#44 Hartmut Wilms

Hartmut Wilms

• STV 3.0 Pro
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Good

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

Feels like Xmas :woohoo: !

Downloading Pro ...

I was a little bit afraid when I first saw the price for the pro version when upgrading wasn't available. But the current offer for upgrading to pro is awesome. Thanks, Tarek!

Congrats for doing a great job and still doing regarding the documentation.

After purchasing v 2.0 in the days of 1.x I will now have to come up with my first App in the store. It's been a long time. Hope my full-time job will allow for finalizing the App, but now that STV 3.0 will save even more efforts, I feel karma's rising ;) .

#45 Hartmut Wilms

Hartmut Wilms

• STV 3.0 Pro
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Good

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

I didn't experience any problems while upgrading/downloading. What's Chrome, anyway? We're dealing in fruits ;).

#46 cyyLy

cyyLy

• STV 5.0 Pro
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:54 AM

I for one, can not believe that I have to pay so much again for STV3. I purchased my license just 3.5 months ago, and you want me to pay again. I will not be upgrading (as you call it), rather I what to know when the current bug list for STV2 will be rectified (as per nbransby ), as you have clearly stated that ‘this will be fixed in STV3’ when responding to questions raised within the forum with out mentioning that we need to pay you to get things sorted out.

This is another example of how not to treat customers in one easy lesson. Business model - yea right!

Very DISAPPOINTED. :angry: :angry: :angry:

I only become aware of STV about a month ago and was going to purchase a licence, but then realised I would have to pay another $99 almost immediately to get bug fixes and updates.

I contacted support who said STV 3.0 was going to cost $299 and so purchasing at $99 + $99 upgrade fee would work out cheaper. That's true, but I made the point that people who purchased 2.0 when it was first released have had 1 years worth of support/upgrades/fixes, while I would essentially get no upgrades/fixes for my $99, but no offer was forthcoming. As 3.0 does include a lot of new features, I even mentioned in a follow-up e-mail that a $49 upgrade fee for recent purchasers of STV 2 would be fairer, but received no reply to this e-mail.

Most other decent software businesses offer free major upgrades if the software was bought X months ago (the longest I've seen was 18 months), and this builds customer loyalty, rather than leaving a bitter taste.

Suffice to say, I liked the look of STV and was originally keen to buy it, but due to the unfair upgrade policy I didn't purchase STV at $99. At the new listed price of $499, I certainly won't be paying full price, and I fear you'll be unlikely to get hobbyist developers as customers.

SC, you just lost a customer and contributed to someone who will now not recommend STV.

#47 Björn Steneram

Björn Steneram

• STV 3.0 Pro
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Good

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:57 AM

I for one, can not believe that I have to pay so much again for STV3. I purchased my license just 3.5 months ago, and you want me to pay again. I will not be upgrading (as you call it), rather I what to know when the current bug list for STV2 will be rectified (as per nbransby ), as you have clearly stated that ‘this will be fixed in STV3’ when responding to questions raised within the forum with out mentioning that we need to pay you to get things sorted out.

This is another example of how not to treat customers in one easy lesson. Business model - yea right!

Very DISAPPOINTED. :angry: :angry: :angry:

I only become aware of STV about a month ago and was going to purchase a licence, but then realised I would have to pay another $99 almost immediately to get bug fixes and updates.

I contacted support who said STV 3.0 was going to cost $299 and so purchasing at $99 + $99 upgrade fee would work out cheaper. That's true, but I made the point that people who purchased 2.0 when it was first released have had 1 years worth of support/upgrades/fixes, while I would essentially get no upgrades/fixes for my $99, but no offer was forthcoming. As 3.0 does include a lot of new features, I even mentioned in a follow-up e-mail that a $49 upgrade fee for recent purchasers of STV 2 would be fairer, but received no reply to this e-mail.

Most other decent software businesses offer free major upgrades if the software was bought X months ago (the longest I've seen was 18 months), and this builds customer loyalty, rather than leaving a bitter taste.

Suffice to say, I liked the look of STV and was originally keen to buy it, but due to the unfair upgrade policy I didn't purchase STV at $99. At the new listed price of $499, I certainly won't be paying full price, and I fear you'll be unlikely to get hobbyist developers as customers.

SC, you just lost a customer and contributed to someone who will now not recommend STV.

Stop whining about the prices. I have used STV since 1.x and it have saved me a ton of work hours that i would have to pay for and made the users of my apps very happy. Even if i had to buy it for 499$ again i wouldn't have problem with that. This is one of the best frameworks out there and is awesome. STV 3.0 is going to be even more time saving and it's freaking cheap for what kind of functions you get out of it!

#48 Cristi Iulian

Cristi Iulian

Starting Out

• STV 3.0 Pro
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:38 AM

[solved] HEY! I need the pro now but I CANNOT upgrade? Where is the 99$ buy button :(

//le: you need to login again, as the www and root domain are not the same

#49 Michael Heger

Michael Heger

• STV 3.0 Pro
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Good

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:30 AM

Click on MyAccount/Downloads/STV 3.0 Pro

-Username
-Passwort
-Buy

#50 Cristi Iulian

Cristi Iulian

Starting Out

• STV 3.0 Pro
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:45 AM

just purchased! Great. Indeed was a pb of login, as www. and root domains are different ;)
Thanks a lot.

#51 Tarek

Tarek

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 3670 posts
Popular

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:27 AM

@nbransby, @david_lashley, @cyyLy: We won't abandon you guys even if you decide not to upgrade. Would you please kindly send us a summary email of all your pending bugs to support[at]sensiblecocoa.com? We apologize for any delay due to the huge amount of time and effort that had to be put into the STV 3.0 release.

@cyyLy: How can the upgrade policy be unfair if it saves you money and was given to you upfront? We've been contacted by many people after the release wishing they would have the chance to do exactly that, instead of having to pay the full $499 price. Anyways, as I said now and said earlier, we will not be abandoning you, even though the vast majority of our customers have happily upgraded.

#52 carl grainger

carl grainger

• STV 3.0 Pro
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
Good

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:54 AM

Hi Tarik,

Some rapid fire q's:

[ul]
[li]When does the promo expire?[/li]
[li]Will the promo end before the 'book' is complete?[/li]
[li]Why so many missing chapters at STV 3.0 release?[/li]
[li]When will the book be complete?[/li]
[li]Do the missing chapters and tight release reflect on the current build of STV 3.0?[/li]
[li]Should I wait until STV 3.1?[/li]
[li]When is the next build release?[/li]
[li]$499 are you serious? Ouch![/li]
[/ul]
Thoughts - Why didn't you have a $99 'low barrier entry' and then charge power users for additional frameworks like themes, web services, core data etc or maybe after the initial purchase period - charge for support? You may be putting kids off ...

Kind regards,
Carl
p.s. if possible please prioritize book chapters for web services, data, batched loading etc

Thanks

#53 cyyLy

cyyLy

• STV 5.0 Pro
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

Thanks for taking the time to respond personally, tarek!
[quote="tarekskr" post=6083]@cyyLy: How can the upgrade policy be unfair if it saves you money and was given to you upfront? [/quote]Yes, it saves money, but it's unfair to people who had just purchased STV 2. As mentioned in my post, people who purchased when v2.0 came out had 1 years worth of upgrades included in the price and they can upgrade to 3 for $99. A person who purchased v2 a week before v3 was released got no upgrades included and was expected to pay the same $99 upgrade pricing. As v3 had a lot of new features and increased price, a fairer thing would have been to offer these people an even cheaper upgrade pricing (eg $49) to compensate for not having any v2 upgrades.

For example, if you had just paid for a text editor, and then a new version came out a few days later, I'm betting most people would expect to get a free upgrade to the new version, and most companies would oblige for licences purchased within a certain time period (eg. 30-90 days, but sometimes longer). I don't think I know of a small software company that doesn't do this (other than SC). Even larger companies would usually start to discount the previous version, before releasing the new version, os people could still benefit from cheaper original pricing and then get the upgrade pricing.

It also makes good business sense, when STV doesn't include lifetime upgrades, as surely it's better to get new customers at a slightly reduced revenue, which would then generate good feeling, good publicity and future sales/upgrade sales from those people. Everyone's happy!

[quote name='"tarekskr" post=6083]Anyways' date=' as I said now and said earlier, we will not be abandoning you, even though the vast majority of our customers have happily upgraded.[/quote']Unfortunately, I am not a customer and don't have a licence for STV. I only recently found out about STV (about 1 month ago), and when I realised v3 was due to be imminently released, I contacted SC to ask about upgrade policy and whether you would be willing to offer either a free upgrade or cheaper $49 upgrade pricing. I was told about the $99 upgrade pricing, which I thought was unfair for the reasons mentioned above, and never heard back about my suggestion for a $49 upgrade price. Because of this I never purchased a licence.

Given that the price has now gone up $400, and I can't get upgrade pricing, I can't see me ever purchasing STV, which is a shame, as I can see it's great software and would like to use it.

I think cgrainger's suggestion of keeping the price low, but charging for additional support, is a good one, particularly given that support costs can often be the most time consuming and expensive.

#54 Tarek

Tarek

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 3670 posts
Popular

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

@cgrainger:

When does the promo expire?

The $99 Pro upgrade promo is valid until next Sat, April 21st. After that you can still pay $99 to upgrade to the standard version, or $149 to upgrade to Pro.

Why so many missing chapters at STV 3.0 release?

Because all our time and resources for the past 4 months went into implementing and testing STV 3.0.

Will the promo end before the 'book' is complete? When will the book be complete?

Most of the book should be done in a month's time. We're currently giving the book our highest priority, and will be releasing bi-weekly updates regularly.

Do the missing chapters and tight release reflect on the current build of STV 3.0?

We've done a lot of testing, and up till now we've had very few bug reports from people who have upgraded. This perhaps makes STV 3.0 one of the most stable STV releases to date.

Should I wait until STV 3.1?

Why wait if you can save $50 now? Unless you do like us and want to give the additional $50 :)

$499 are you serious? Ouch!

We've actually seen a surge in sales for STV 3.0! It all boils down to how many development hours you're saving. For people who charge $80-$100 per hour, this is a real no brainer. It is very normal for STV to save you a 100 hours in an average project, and even a lot more during maintenance.

@cyyLy, @cgrainger: Having said that, we've already had many suggestions for a 'light' version with limitations for hobbyists and people who want to try out STV, and we'll seriously consider doing so, probably after finishing the book.

#55 carl grainger

carl grainger

• STV 3.0 Pro
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
Good

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

$80-$100 per hour - I'm being robbed!

Thanks for the update. I'll take up your offer this w/e and will look forward to using STV 3 with core data & web services later in May's projects :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users