#1 Tarek

Tarek

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 3670 posts
Popular

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:38 AM

Dear all,

We're continuing the series of previews of our upcoming STV 4.0 by a video tutorial of how your entire app UI can now be fully visually customized right from Interface Builder. 

• ozie, netlabs and VewSnignineroqn like this

#2 ozie

ozie

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• STV 5.0 Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationAustralia
Popular

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:25 PM

sweet!!

1. when do i get my hands on it ? :)

2. does the date cell open a picker within the cell ?

• Tarek likes this

P.S. I hate Swift.. don't talk Swift.. Too old school to learn yet another programming language.

#3 Dave Guerin

Dave Guerin

Forum Master

• STV 5.0 Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationIreland
Popular

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:38 AM

Generate Detail View: WOW!

Most of my UITableView based apps are pretty much all code, except for a few UITableViewCell XIBs. That might change now!

I'm really looking forward to giving STV 4 a go now.

Can sectionActions and cellActions blocks be attached to the XIB and get called?

• Tarek likes this
Cheers,

Dave

www.dgapps.ie

#4 Laeger

Laeger

Experienced Member

• STV 5.0 Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Good

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:33 AM

Wow, looks amazing!

Also curious about action blocks.

Releasing shortly after iOS 8?

• Tarek likes this

#5 David DelMonte

David DelMonte

Forum Master

• STV 4.0 Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:37 AM

I agree.. amazing... In a subsequent video, can you show how 4.0 is installed, and how you get the entity descriptions and property groups into IB :)

Oh, and will this allow runs using iOS7..

Be well..

David

• Tarek likes this

#6 Tarek

Tarek

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 3670 posts
Popular

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:59 AM

Thank you guys!

@ozie: STV 4.0 beta will be out to those who signed up for it a few days after Xcode beta6 is out. Production release will be a few days after Apple officially releases iOS 8.0. And yes, date cells now optionally open a picker inside the cell.

@david: Yes, fully supporting both iOS 7 & 8. We'll definitely be adding all the video tutorials including installation. We already have a video preview showing how to add the entity definitions to IB: http://sensiblecocoa...er-integration/

@dave & @laeger: Action code blocks entered in IB are theoretically possible, but you'll be missing out on syntax checking and code completion. However, what we could do is try and figure out the most common actions that our developers write and have you choose from that in a combo box associated with each cell, for example. Each action could also have several parameters to customize it. I'd love to hear from all of you about some of these pre-defined action blocks that you'd think will be helpful in your development.

#7 Everett

Everett

Ev

• STV 5.0 Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationMichigan
Outstanding

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:23 PM

Wow, I don't know what to say Tarek!  I'm worried that men in dark suits and sun glasses with little apple logos are going to show up at your door and "disappear" you to some hidden laboratory in Cupertino before we get a chance to get our paws on this version!

final score from video: 

hates: 0

loves: 100

Using STV over the past two years in all my projects has been great, but two areas of frustration was the high complexity of dealing with detail views and having to use xibs or code instead of storyboards in my storyboard based projects.  

Conceptually for me, detail views were tough to wrap my head around at times because of the embedded recursive nature of them and they required a lot of code sometimes to get all the details just right. Many times I found it just easier to swap out the detail views with my own custom views, but whenever I did that I always felt a little sad, that I wasn't using all the power of the product. 

Using xib's for table view cell layouts instead of the storyboard also caused me some confusion as I had to switch contexts, especially since my first exposure to IOS came in IOS 5 with Storyboards, so xib's were not something I previously had developed a comfort level with and stv was one of the few things I really used them for.  And after IOS6 hit the streets with auto layout, often I had to turn off auto layout in stv objects while trying to use it in other places.

After watching the video I feel like a kid at Christmas.  Being able to auto generate then customize the detail views for edit and new modes is simply incredible. The visual nature of the storyboard really brings clarity to the application flow and is going to cut down on a lot of customization code that's much easier to represent in IB.  I'm curious, I'm assuming each detail view can have our own subclass view controller for customization if we need it outside of IB? 

I also think its awesome that you have integrated into the new layout system, again this will just add clarity and improve the development process.  

seriously, great work. Can't wait to see how it all works.

Ev

• Tarek likes this

#8 Glenn Toole

Glenn Toole

Starting Out

• STV 4.0 Std
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Good

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:20 PM

Incredible!  I can't wait for October...

#9 ozie

ozie

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• STV 5.0 Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationAustralia
Popular

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:13 AM

oh yes.. the ease of being able to design and edit/alter detail views for editing and adding in IB will save sooooo much time rather than coding it.. being able to backend separate code files for each view will be even easier too

what will i do with all my free time:)

• Tarek likes this

P.S. I hate Swift.. don't talk Swift.. Too old school to learn yet another programming language.

#10 Dave Guerin

Dave Guerin

Forum Master

• STV 5.0 Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationIreland
Popular

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:08 AM

Hi Tarek,

I was thinking more along the lines of IBActions linking from objects in IB to sectionActions and cellActions blocks in the .m file, something like UIButton actions.

Here's all the sectionActions I'm using in one of the classes  of one of my projects:

sectionActions.reuseIdentifierForRowAtIndexPath

sectionActions.cellForRowAtIndexPath

sectionActions.didAddSpecialCells 

sectionActions.detailModelWillPresent

sectionActions.detailModelDidPresent

sectionActions.didCreateItem 

sectionActions.willInsertItem

sectionActions.didDeleteItem

sectionActions.detailModelWillDismiss

and the cellActions:

cellActions.willConfigure

cellActions.willDisplay

cellActions.didLayoutSubviews

cellActions.valueChanged

cellActions.valueIsValid

cellActions.detailModelWillPresent

cellActions.detailModelDidPresent

cellActions.detailModelWillDismiss

cellActions.didSelect

Cheers,

Dave

www.dgapps.ie

#11 Laeger

Laeger

Experienced Member

• STV 5.0 Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Good

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:46 AM

Tarek,

As Dave said, can we connect individual components via IBOutlets and assign actions that way?

-Aaron

#12 Tarek

Tarek

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 3670 posts
Popular

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:32 AM

Thank you so much Everett for your flattering complements! :) Yes, of course, each detail view controller can be assigned its own subclass and you can customize its own tableViewModel right from there instead of using detail actions (if you wish). 

@Glenn: it's most probably September :)

@Dave & @Aaron: Oh I see what you mean, and it's indeed possible. I was rather referring to common action functionalities however. For example, one common functionality for the 'willDisplay' cell action might be to have odd cells with a different color than even cells. Parameters for such an action functionality might be oddBackgroundColor and evenBackgroundColor, and you would be able to assign all these from IB. So we were looking for ideas such as that, making you able to add actions from IB without writing code. Let me know what you think.

#13 poffel

poffel

Advanced Member

• STV 5.0 Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Good

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:48 PM

I think i missed something. :-) Can i still be part of the STV 4.0 beta? Or am i too late? :-/

#14 Tarek

Tarek

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 3670 posts
Popular

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:04 PM

You're actually just in time Lars, I''ll add you to the list. Betas should be distributed this Mon. Anyone else interested please contact me privately on the community system. Thank you!

Edited by Tarek, 21 August 2014 - 04:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users