#1 Donovan Dillon

Donovan Dillon

Experienced Member

• STV 5.0 Std
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
Good

Posted 13 December 2014 - 06:52 PM

Hi Tarek/community, is it possible to create a two-stage STV detail view construct where the initial detail view is read-only, with an Edit button that loads a separate Edit-enabled detail view? Thoughts, guidance and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

#2 ozie

ozie

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• STV 5.0 Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationAustralia
Popular

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:28 AM

requireEditingModeToEditPropertyValues

When set to TRUE, the generated user interface elements are required to be placed in ‘Editing Mode’ before the user can modify the generated property controls' values. When not in Editing Mode, all the generated property controls will be put in a read-only state. If the UI was automatically generated by the framework, an ‘Edit’ button will also be automatically added to the navigation bar. Default: FALSE.

code it like:

SCEntityDefinition *myDef = [SCEntityDefinition definitionWithEntityName:@"Entity" .........
    myDef.requireEditingModeToEditPropertyValues = YES;

Edited by ozie, 14 December 2014 - 02:30 AM.

• Tarek likes this

P.S. I hate Swift.. don't talk Swift.. Too old school to learn yet another programming language.

#3 Donovan Dillon

Donovan Dillon

Experienced Member

• STV 5.0 Std
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
Good

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:18 AM

Hi Ozie,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it and the 'requireEditingModeToEditPropertyValues' property does exactly what you said, and what I asked for; however, that behavior does not generate the outcome I am seeking as it makes everything in the detail view read-only and subject to edit mode to enable user interaction. I realize this behavior is exactly as I requested; but in retrospect what I asked for it is not what I actually need.  

Here is some additional detail:

1. My STV-generated detail view has two (SC Object) sections  

2. Section 1 contains a 'dashboard' with three sliders and labels that update to show the results of calculations based on slider values

3. Section 2 contains cells with bound properties to my core data model

Right now both sections are displayed in the single detail view. Ideally I would like to:

A. Generate a separate detail view for each section (detail view 1 contains Section 1 content, and detail view 2 contains Section 2 content) 

B. Have the master view open detail view 1 (with Section 1 'dashboard' and an Edit button)

C. Have the detail view 1 Edit button open detail view 2 (with Section 2 cells with bound properties)  

Is this kind of operation doable with STV? If so, any suggestions on how to approach it are appreciated.

Thanks again Ozie. Thanks for taking the time to help. 

#4 ozie

ozie

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• STV 5.0 Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationAustralia
Popular

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:47 PM

so something like this with edit buttons to change the slider values etc??

Attached File  Screen Shot 2014-12-15 at 8.44.58 am.png   48.05K   24 downloads

You can do anything you dream to do with STV:)

P.S. I hate Swift.. don't talk Swift.. Too old school to learn yet another programming language.

#5 Donovan Dillon

Donovan Dillon

Experienced Member

• STV 5.0 Std
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
Good

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:47 PM

Thanks Ozie. I've marked up your mock-up to more precisely illustrate what would be ideal:

Attached File  image.jpg   42.98K   23 downloads

Is something like this doable?

#6 ozie

ozie

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• STV 5.0 Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationAustralia
Popular

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:49 PM

sure is doable :)

#7 Donovan Dillon

Donovan Dillon

Experienced Member

• STV 5.0 Std
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
Good

Posted 15 December 2014 - 06:07 AM

Thanks Ozie. I'll have a play and see what I come up with.

#8 Tarek

Tarek

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 3670 posts
Popular

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:59 AM

Hey guys,

It's worth noting here that 'requireEditingModeToEditPropertyValues' is now accessible from Interface Builder. Simply select your Data Definition in IB, then check the 'Require Editing Mode' checkbox.

#9 Donovan Dillon

Donovan Dillon

Experienced Member

• STV 5.0 Std
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
Good

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:47 PM

Thanks Tarek and Ozie. I have succeeded in creating the separate views as illustrated in comment #5.

To accomplish this, I created a separate Edit Plan Scene with an associated EditViewController. The EditViewController controller contains a variable identifying the current managed object (bizplan) as shown in the code snippet below:

import UIKit
import CoreData

class EditViewController: SCTableViewController {

var bizplan:Bizplan!

@IBAction func updatePlan(sender: AnyObject) {

}
    override func viewDidLoad() {
        super.viewDidLoad()

// Do any additional self.tableViewModsel customizations here

println("Edit VC View Did Load - Bizplan: \(bizplan.ideaName)") //<-- correctly prints name of current object

let editSection = self.tableViewModel.sectionAtIndex(0) as SCObjectSection //<-- fatal error encountered here
        editSection.boundObject = bizplan
        editSection.reloadBoundValues()
    }
}

The bizplan variable is set from the DetailViewController (via "override func prepareForSegue") when the user clicks a "Modify Bizplan Inputs" button that triggers the push of the EditViewController/scene.  

When run, the bizplan variable in EditViewController is set properly; however when attempting to assign this variable to the SCObjectSection bound object parameter I am getting a "fatal error: unexpectedly found nil while unwrapping an Optional value". This error occurrs on the "let editSection = self.tableViewModel.sectionAtIndex(0) as SCObjectSection" line.

A screenshot of the storyboard is attached showing the use of SCArrayOfObjects in the Master view and SCObjectSection in the Detail and Edit views. 

Attached File  Storyboard.png   65.85K   20 downloadsAttached File  Storyboard.png   65.85K   20 downloads

Hopefully this provides sufficient information to suggest a cause and remedy for the fatal error.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Edited by Donovan Dillon, 19 December 2014 - 12:52 PM.

#10 Donovan Dillon

Donovan Dillon

Experienced Member

• STV 5.0 Std
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
Good

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:59 AM

I'm still trying to work this out. I edited viewDidLoad to add some debugging code as shown below:

super.viewDidLoad()

// Do any additional self.tableViewModsel customizations here

let tvModel = self.tableViewModel

println("Tableview Sections Count: \(tvModel.sectionCount)")

/*
        let editSection = self.tableViewModel.sectionAtIndex(0) as SCObjectSection
        editSection.boundObject = bizplan
        */
    }

Here is what I discovered:

tvModel.sectionCount does not register SCObjectSection addition(s) to the tableview -- but it does register the proper count of SCArrayOfObjectSection when they are added to the tableview.

That is why "let editSection = self.tableViewModel.sectionAtIndex(0) as SCObjectSection" returns nil.

Three questions:

1. Is this an STV bug? I am using STV 4.0.5.

2. Am I correct in using SCObjectSection to present the bound object for editing? If not, what STV class/facility should I use?

3. Am I using the correct event/controller (viewDidLoad in EditViewController) to set the bound object?

As always, any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

#11 Donovan Dillon

Donovan Dillon

Experienced Member

• STV 5.0 Std
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
Good

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:01 PM

Problem solved -- with ozie's help!

The problem was ultimately caused by improperly setting the Parent Entity attribute (to the Parent Entity) for three child entities in my core data model. The attribute should have been left at the default value of "No Parent Entity."

With this change and viewDidLoad as follows the code is working as desired with read-only detail view and edit-only edit view.

super.viewDidLoad()

// Do any additional self.tableViewModel customizations here

let tvModel = self.tableViewModel
        let editSection = self.tableViewModel.sectionAtIndex(0) as SCObjectSection
        editSection.boundObject = bizplan as Bizplan
        tvModel.reloadBoundValues()
        tvModel.tableView.reloadData()
    }

I will have to experiment to see if it all three reload lines are necessary; but for now works like a charm.

Thanks again ozie! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users