Forum Master

• STV 5.0 Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • LocationIreland
Popular

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:09 AM

Hi all,

I'm getting LOTS of warnings when building using the STV 5.0.0 static framework and Xcode 7 beta5:

GenerateDSYMFile /Users/daveguerin/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/STV-apffrgtwgcknptepwhtlpohexwmq/Build/Products/Debug-iphonesimulator/STV.app.dSYM /Users/daveguerin/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/STV-apffrgtwgcknptepwhtlpohexwmq/Build/Products/Debug-iphonesimulator/STV.app/STV
    cd "/Users/daveguerin/Xcode/@STV/STV"
    export PATH="/Applications/Xcode-beta.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/usr/bin:/Applications/Xcode-beta.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin"
    /Applications/Xcode-beta.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/dsymutil /Users/daveguerin/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/STV-apffrgtwgcknptepwhtlpohexwmq/Build/Products/Debug-iphonesimulator/STV.app/STV -o /Users/daveguerin/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/STV-apffrgtwgcknptepwhtlpohexwmq/Build/Products/Debug-iphonesimulator/STV.app.dSYM

while processing /Users/daveguerin/Xcode/@STV/STV/SensibleTableView.framework/SensibleTableView(SCDataDefinition.o):
warning: /var/folders/_j/hqhnz9xd2qv_39dd1vdmw1nc0000gn/C/org.llvm.clang.tarekskr/ModuleCache/2YCOBXU93NY4O/Foundation-K7W1BMS6PHG4.pcm: No such file or directory
while processing /Users/daveguerin/Xcode/@STV/STV/SensibleTableView.framework/SensibleTableView(SCDataDefinition.o):
warning: /var/folders/_j/hqhnz9xd2qv_39dd1vdmw1nc0000gn/C/org.llvm.clang.tarekskr/ModuleCache/2YCOBXU93NY4O/Foundation-K7W1BMS6PHG4.pcm: No object file for requested architecture
warning: /var/folders/_j/hqhnz9xd2qv_39dd1vdmw1nc0000gn/C/org.llvm.clang.tarekskr/ModuleCache/2YCOBXU93NY4O/UIKit-1MCEWB5GAZIR1.pcm: No such file or directory
warning: /var/folders/_j/hqhnz9xd2qv_39dd1vdmw1nc0000gn/C/org.llvm.clang.tarekskr/ModuleCache/2YCOBXU93NY4O/UIKit-1MCEWB5GAZIR1.pcm: No object file for requested architecture
warning: /var/folders/_j/hqhnz9xd2qv_39dd1vdmw1nc0000gn/C/org.llvm.clang.tarekskr/ModuleCache/2YCOBXU93NY4O/AssetsLibrary-2SH6ATKCIKFA0.pcm: No such file or directory
warning: /var/folders/_j/hqhnz9xd2qv_39dd1vdmw1nc0000gn/C/org.llvm.clang.tarekskr/ModuleCache/2YCOBXU93NY4O/AssetsLibrary-2SH6ATKCIKFA0.pcm: No object file for requested architecture
warning: /var/folders/_j/hqhnz9xd2qv_39dd1vdmw1nc0000gn/C/org.llvm.clang.tarekskr/ModuleCache/2YCOBXU93NY4O/ObjectiveC-JRA7UFEC52Z6.pcm: No such file or directory
warning: /var/folders/_j/hqhnz9xd2qv_39dd1vdmw1nc0000gn/C/org.llvm.clang.tarekskr/ModuleCache/2YCOBXU93NY4O/ObjectiveC-JRA7UFEC52Z6.pcm: No object file for requested architecture
warning: Could not resolve external type c:objc(cs)NSObject
warning: Could not resolve external type c:objc(cs)NSString
warning: Could not resolve external type c:objc(cs)UITableViewCell
warning: Could not resolve external type c:objc(cs)NSDictionary
warning: Could not resolve external type c:objc(cs)NSMutableDictionary
warning: Could not resolve external type c:objc(cs)NSMutableArray
warning: Could not resolve external type c:objc(cs)UIColor
warning: Could not resolve external type c:@E@UITableViewCellStyle
warning: Could not resolve external type c:objc(cs)UILabel
warning: Could not resolve external type c:objc(cs)NSArray
warning: Could not resolve external type c:@E@UITableViewCellEditingStyle

** Full warning list here: http://pastebin.com/Dx0aiAHW

Anybody else seeing this, or is it something I'm doing and shouldn't be?

Cheers,

Dave

www.dgapps.ie

#2 ozie

ozie

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• STV 5.0 Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationAustralia
Popular

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:16 AM

suppose im going to have it buy it to find out:)

dont think i even made anything with v4

• Dave Guerin likes this

P.S. I hate Swift.. don't talk Swift.. Too old school to learn yet another programming language.

#3 Tarek

Tarek

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 3670 posts
Popular

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:34 AM

Hi Dave,

The bundled samples with static frameworks seem to be compiling without any warnings (or are they at your side?). Are you able to reproduce on any small sample that you can attach here? 

One more thing: are you getting the same warnings when you compile with the dynamic STV frameworks?

#4 wizgod

wizgod

I'm what you guys call a User

• STV 5.0 Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationThe Grid
Popular

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:57 AM

Greetings Programs!

I created a new core data project (from STV template) at home in XCode 6.4 and STV 5.0 then opened it up at work with XCode 7 beta 5 and STV 5.0 to convert it and then ran into the same issue.

I did a clean and deleted the DerrivedData and the warnings are still there.

When I created a new project from XCode 7, I did not experience the issue; it would appear that it occurs only after converting previous XCode/Swift projects to the new versions.

Wg

P.S. I love Swift... talk Swift.. Never too old school to learn yet another programming language. LOL! ;-)

#5 Tarek

Tarek

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 3670 posts
Popular

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:12 AM

Hi Wg,

I just tried exactly what you did, but got no warnings whatsoever. Are you able to attach this sample here? Thank you so much!

Note: I tested both Swift & Objective-C projects and both gave no warnings.

Edited by Tarek, 12 August 2015 - 11:18 AM.

#6 wizgod

wizgod

I'm what you guys call a User

• STV 5.0 Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationThe Grid
Popular

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:30 AM

I'll send you a link in a PM.

Wg

• Tarek likes this

P.S. I love Swift... talk Swift.. Never too old school to learn yet another programming language. LOL! ;-)

#7 Dave Guerin

Dave Guerin

Forum Master

• STV 5.0 Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • LocationIreland
Popular

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:09 AM

Hi Tarek,

I've investigate further and here are some comments and findings:

I have a script I run before every Xcode session (and sometimes during) that deletes all of DerivedData and resets all the simulators. A clean build still had all the warnings.

The dynamic STV framework does NOT give any warnings, it's just the static framework.

It's only Xcode 7 (currently at beta 5 here) that gives the warnings, not Xcode 6.4.

The example projects also give the warnings.

I noticed that some of the warnings are about a file not found in /var/folders/_j/hqhnz9xd2qv_39dd1vdmw1nc0000gn/C/org.llvm.clang.tarekskr/ModuleCache/.

I don't have a org.llvm.clang.tarekskr/ModuleCache/  or even a org.llvm.clang.daveguerin/ModuleCache/.

I do have a org.llvm.clang/ModuleCache/ without the user name in there, although the bit between folders/ and /C/ is different.

If I build the STV static framework from the STV code then and use that in the project then ALL the warnings disappear!

After building my own STV framework I do now have a org.llvm.clang.daveguerin/ModuleCache/  in  /var/folders/.../../C/

If I delete org.llvm.clang.daveguerin/ModuleCache/ and delete DerivedData using my script then all the warnings come back.

I thought it might have something to do with BitCode so turned that off for the STV framework build, and for the app, but all the warnings appear again if delete org.llvm.clang.daveguerin/ModuleCache/ and delete DerivedData.

That's as far as my knowledge and Google gets me!

HTH

• Tarek likes this
Cheers,

Dave

www.dgapps.ie

#8 Tarek

Tarek

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 3670 posts
Popular

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:31 PM

Thank you so much guys, your feedback was extremely helpful.

So testing on a fresh OS X install does indeed produce these warnings. We've tested on a lot of configurations, and it seems that Xcode 7 is introducing these warnings for some reason (compiling the frameworks on Xcode 6 in all configurations works fine). I am still not sure of the source of the warnings, but we're hoping it's an Xcode 7 beta issue. We'll investigate this further of course and we'll send Apple a radar if everything else fails. For the time being, please use STV's Dynamic Frameworks instead of the static ones to prevent the warnings.

• Dave Guerin and wizgod like this

#9 Dave Guerin

Dave Guerin

Forum Master

• STV 5.0 Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • LocationIreland
Popular

Posted 27 August 2015 - 01:19 AM

Hi Tarek,

I noticed that 5.1.0-beta in the CalculatedCellsApp wasn't causing the warnings, hurrah! Ah, but the warnings were still there in my app using 5.1.0-beta, boo.

The warnings are gone because the DEBUG_INFORMATION_FORMAT is set to just DWARF and not DWARF and dSYM File and it's the dSYM file that is causing the problem. It seems that's the default from Apple for Debug builds.

It seems other frameworks have had the same problem:

https://github.com/c...-ios/issues/460

with some discussion here:

http://prod.lists.ap...p/msg00086.html

I'm not quite sure what their solution was, but HTH.

• Tarek likes this
Cheers,

Dave

www.dgapps.ie

#10 Tarek

Tarek

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 3670 posts
Popular

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:32 AM

Thank you so much Dave!! I initially thought the Xcode update fixed it, but couldn't track down why. The difference does seem indeed to be the 'DEBUG_INFORMATION_FORMAT' setting, which Xcode 7 beta6 now defaults to just 'DWARF' instead of 'DWARF with dSYM File' in previous Xcode versions. We'll be compiling our static frameworks with this setting in our next release to prevent the warnings.

Thanks again Dave, that was extremely helpful!

#11 Dave Guerin

Dave Guerin

Forum Master

• STV 5.0 Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • LocationIreland
Popular

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:50 AM

Hi Tarek,

I tried building my own STV frameworks with just "DWARF" and not "DWARF with dSYM File" but I still got the warnings after I deleted org.llvm.clang.daveguerin/ModuleCache/ :-(

​It might be I'm not doing the build correctly.

​And turning off the dSYM file apparently stops your breakpoints firing: http://stackoverflow...an-in-xcode-4-5

Turning off the dSYM file in my app stops the warnings, but then I don't get symbolicated crash reports from Crashlytics.

Also I note that the new Apple default has  "DWARF with dSYM File" for a Release build, so the warnings will be back just when you wouldn't want them.

Cheers,

Dave

www.dgapps.ie

#12 Tarek

Tarek

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 3670 posts
Popular

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:59 AM

Hi Dave,

I haven't tried compiling our frameworks yet since I just learned that from you now, but we'll be experimenting with this until we hopefully fix it.

On a separate note, I wonder why Xcode 7 beta6 now defaults to no dSYM in DEBUG mode for new projects if that prevents breakpoints from firing :)

#13 Bruce Vander Werf

Bruce Vander Werf

• STV 5.0 Pro
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Good

Posted 13 September 2015 - 04:22 AM

Hi,

Was this supposed to be resolved in 5.1? I am still seeing 1000+ warnings using the static framework and XCode 7 GM.

Bruce

#14 Tarek

Tarek

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 3670 posts
Popular

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:58 AM

Hi Bruce,

We've actually contacted Apple with this problem and we're working on fixing it. Using STV's bundled dynamic frameworks (or source code of course) instead should work fine for now.

#15 Tarek

Tarek

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 3670 posts
Popular

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:30 AM

UPDATE: We haven't received any response yet, but it does seem to be an Xcode 7 issue according to the feedback on Apple's forums. Here is a sample one where people are actually referring to us :) https://forums.devel...om/thread/17921

#16 Dave Guerin

Dave Guerin

Forum Master

• STV 5.0 Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • LocationIreland
Popular

Posted 21 September 2015 - 10:12 PM

Hi Tarek,

Thanks for the update.

I did a bit more Googling this morning and I think someone found a solution:

https://github.com/z...k_ios/issues/79

So it seems setting CLANG_ENABLE_MODULES to NO in the build settings of STV and all the warnings go away,

In testing with STV code here it seems to work! Hurrah! I set CLANG_ENABLE_MODULES to NO in the SensibleTableView project, and in both the SensibleTableView target and the FatFramework.

Thanks to the zendesk_sdk_ios developers for finding this!

• Tarek and designwerks like this
Cheers,

Dave

www.dgapps.ie

#17 Tarek

Tarek

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 3670 posts
Popular

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:55 AM

That's a brilliant find Dave!! We just tested that on a fresh OS X install and all seems to be working great. Thank you so much!!

We should probably update the Apple forums with this find. I don't want to take any credit for this, so you should probably update that if you don't mind.

#18 Dave Guerin

Dave Guerin

Forum Master

• STV 5.0 Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • LocationIreland
Popular

Posted 22 September 2015 - 11:31 PM

Hi Tarek,

The only credit I can take is in persistence in Googling :-)

I've added posts with this solution to both https://forums.devel...om/thread/17921 and https://forums.devel...age/47932#47932

Both posts are "Currently being moderated."

Cheers,

Dave

www.dgapps.ie

#19 Tarek

Tarek

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 3670 posts
Popular

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:51 PM

Thank you Dave!

Edited by Tarek, 23 September 2015 - 12:51 PM.
fixed a typo

#20 Dave Guerin

Dave Guerin

Forum Master

• STV 5.0 Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • LocationIreland
Popular

Posted 29 September 2015 - 08:46 AM

Hi Tarek,

Adrian Prantl,  Apple staff, has confirmed on one of those threads:

https://forums.devel...om/thread/17921

that "When building a library for distribution to other machines, CLANG_ENABLE_MODULES should be disabled and dSYM creation should be enabled."

So that is the official fix. Hurrah!

• Tarek likes this
Cheers,

Dave

www.dgapps.ie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users